Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Pot Kettle Black.

If Wilco were doing a live show tonight, and if they were the type to dedicate songs to politicians, I suspect they would dedicate Pot Kettle Black to Mrs. Clinton and Mr. McCain, and all their advisors and spouses and supporters, from Mr. Obama with love... (Live in a cave? Read all about it here.)

Let the record show that I am so effing sick of Hillary Clinton. If it's her vs. McCain, veep candidate depending, I will probably consider voting for McCain. And that's saying A LOT.

(Oh wait - I could just vote for Nader. That'll show 'em. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. Oh, Ralphie, sigh...)

What I would LOVE to see, is rural America's response to this. You know - bitter, clingy rural America. Who have no jobs because all their jobs have been off shored so that the suits can make a profit, who can barely feed their families because only the crazy SF (OK, and Portland) liberals care about buying locally and organic, who risk their lives at war or at sea because there are no better ways to make a living given the tanked economy that started its downfall with "Reaganomics." Heaven forbid they hold on tight to their God and their guns and hope that something better comes along.

(Disclaimer: read yesterday's post - I'm not smart, I don't claim to be smart, I react to news, and especially politics, based on emotion... Just like most of America, for what that's worth. Correct me if you must.)

I searched for a while for such a response, but other than some content on Obama's web site the best I could come up with was a couple snippets from the 622 comments (and counting) about the SF Gate article, which turned out to be way more amusing than any truly relevant comments I ran across. Here are a couple favorites, typos and all:

  • "Help me figure this one out- Hillary and Bill practically live at Susie Buells house, Hillary has raised more money from SF liberal elite then anyone and she is supported by the gay marriage mayor for pete shakes and she now drops "San Francisco" like a pejorative term..." (my official new exclamation - "oh for pete SHAKES!!")
  • "if obama loses he will move to the napa valley, build a house made out of earth, and open a vegetarian restaurant which serves brie and chablis" (um, I'll take my brie with a fine cab, thank you very much)
  • "Yes, we're so "elite". In fact, we're so "elite" that over 60% of San Franciscans have to rent and can't afford to buy their own home. We're so "elite" that we have chronic homeless problem. We're so "elite" that we're so exclusive that we don't exclude anybody for any reason. Yeah, we're "elite", all right. By the way, "elite" means "the best or most skilled members of a group". So I guess this all means we're being trashed by the worst and least skilled members of our society... yeah, good to see that the old Roman tradition of catering to the mob is very well alive and well in modern America. I have to go be "elite" now. Bye." (and it all comes back to the SF motto!)
  • "SF is tolerant my @$$. Just try being a Christian, or a conservative, or try supporting our President in SF. SF is tolerant of those who agree with their liberal policies. If you don't tow the line, SF is the most INtolerant of cities." (a few close friends would probably wholeheartedly agree with this comment, and I can't disagree with it either.)
I will say this - my parents used to be conservative. Twelve years of Reagan/Bush, two layoffs and retirement with a very meager Social Security payment later, they have switched teams. And now, talking with them about politics is a treat.

And I will say this - my rural country relatives refer to "California" as some foreign exotic country whenever I go home to visit.

I will also say this - I think those who offer the criticism that his comments could've been just as easily directed at inner cities, are right on.

Next I will say this - Obama is not good with off the cuff speeches but he's brilliant with pre-orchestrated speeches... JUST LIKE EVERY PRESIDENT SINCE KENNEDY. Cut him a little slack already. At least he doesn't make up words.

And finally, I will say that if Wilco were doing a live show and dedicated some songs to Mr. Obama, they would have quite a few to choose from:
  • Misunderstood
  • Shouldn't Be Ashamed
  • That's Not the Issue
  • What's The World Got In Store
  • Christ for President
  • On and On and On
  • Let's Not Get Carried Away
... and hey, if Wilco* endorses him, I think I'm sold. OBAMA 2008!

________________
* The idea that Wilco endorses him is completely fabricated by the author... although I think it might be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment