Wednesday, April 23, 2008

"Hey, over here! Have your picture taken with a reclusive author! Today only, we'll throw in a free autograph!"

I went to a dinner party of sorts Sunday evening. It was a small party, but I only knew about half the people there and a big part of me was dreading being social with the other half. I just don't do "parties." Or "strangers." Especially in large groups.

Of course they were all very nice and told amusing stories and initiated stimulating conversation and in the end it was all fine. But it did make me question the issue of not really knowing anyone in Portland, and how I intend to change that when I don't do "strangers." I'm sure that in time, I will meet nice people through work and meet more nice people through them. And I think my plans to join a running group and volunteer are sound starts to meeting non-work people (especially seeing as how I don't have "work" at the moment). As long as I actually do those things, rather than holing up in my apartment which has been my tendency lately.

In the end it will all be fine. It's just the middle that I'm a little worried about...

________________
Today's subject brought to you by Thomas Pynchon, who I have not read... yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment