Thursday, April 24, 2008

Whoever said "never put off till tomorrow..." wasn't unemployed.

I can't remember if I've already told this story. I think I have, but it was eons ago if so.

When my dad retired, he bought a dry erase board to keep track of all the house-related things he needed to take care of in order to be able to sell the house and move them to a smaller place. If he woke up one morning and didn't feel like doing what was on the dry erase board for that day, he would erase it, write it in for the next day and do whatever he wanted on that day.

Ahhh, retirement.

Granted, it's been almost three years and the house-related things are not even close to being done, but...

Tomorrow I plan to drive to Big Sur for the day. I've never been, and it just seems like something I should do before I leave California. But I had a pleasantly longer-than-expected evening with a former coworker tonight, which put some prep for tomorrow out of whack, and I have some volunteer things I should really take care of, and what if the moving company can't reach me via cell to schedule a move date? I'll have to wait until Monday, which puts everything out of whack. And also, the wine isn't helping other than helping me to forget the several work-related calls over the past few days which sent my blood pressure reeling. (Seriously. Check my blood donor card. Yesterday was OFF THE CHARTS.)

I suspect I will still go tomorrow. I might get a late start, but time is running out and I do want to see the the road a-winding go from golden gate to roaring cliff-side and the light softly low as my heart becomes sweetly untied beneath the sun of California One.

Plus my cat is driving me fucking crazy right now, and they're coming to do maintenance in the apartment tomorrow, so it will be nice to get away.

But if I choose to erase and re-write for one day next week, I have that option. And that's a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment