Thursday, May 05, 2005

SLOW DOWN.

I have a very fond memory of me and my oldest friend sitting in our high school library while something French-related was going on. Rather than paying attention we kept repeating the following dialogue from the episode of Taxi where Jim is taking his driving test:

Jim: "Pssst. What does the yellow light mean?"
Bobby: "Slow down."
Jim: "Whaaat doooess the yelllllow liiiiight mean?"
Bobby: "SLOW DOWN."
Jim: "WHHHHHAAAAAAAAATTTTTT DOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS THE YELLLLLLOOOOOOOOWWWW LIIIIIIIIIIGH MEEEEEEEANNNN?"

(Ridiculous giggling fits ensued. It's a miracle we didn't get kicked out, or suspended, or something equally offensive.)

Why that's relevant: I am currently watching VH1's "I Love the 70s: 1979" and they just showed that particular scene. All the celebrity commentators said that's their most memorable scene from Taxi. Validation. :)

Seriously though, sometimes I'm really amazed at the things I remember. I can remember that we were in the library for something French-related, but after five years of French schooling I can't remember more than five words of the French language itself. (One of the five that I can remember is "pamplemousse" - which means grapefruit - which is my least favorite citris fruit. Go figure.)

Aww! And now they're talking about the Muppet Movie, my favorite movie EVER (or, sometimes tied with Hair, also made in 1979 but surprisingly without a mention on the show).

... I love the 70's.

No comments:

Post a Comment