Monday, May 02, 2005

More on shopping (sorry).

I got a late start today (I'm on vacation!! so it doesn't matter!!) so instead of heading into the city as planned to try to use my Nordstroms gift certificates, I went to Walnut Creek.

(If you know me, you might know that I'm not too fond of shopping, especially given my "low people tolerance" factor. Except for shoes. I loooooooove shoe shopping. This is odd, because I have far fewer pairs of shoes than the normal woman. I think I just like the fact that, unlike with clothes, the size is pretty much guaranteed to fit, and so the experience overall is much more gratifying.)

Digressions: I have often wondered this when I work from home and run errands during lunchtime, and today I really wondered it. Why are all these people milling about in a shopping center on a Monday? Do they not work? How can I get that deal? Are they rich and therefore don't have to work? (This was definitely the case with some of the gussied-up women. Me, I was in overalls and flip flops... Clearly not the case for me.) Are they retired? Are they SAHMs in need of adult interaction? Are they taking a day off, like me?

I also wonder, when I go to Walnut Creek to shop, why people get dressed up to go shopping. A phenomenon I really don't get. It just seems like an utter waste of time, energy and makeup. End of digressions.

I've found that overalls and flip flops tend to keep the psycho salespeople away from you when you're browsing at Nordstroms. Clearly you are not worthy of their attention... and that's the way you like it. Today was an exception. I was browsing the shoes (see above) and I noticed a salesperson stalking me. I mean, really stalking me. She was hovering about ten feet away, and anytime I'd pick up a shoe (or look remotely interested in a shoe) she would start to head over. Then I'd put the shoe down or move on to the next display, and she'd divert her path slightly and hover some more. After five minutes I started to just mess with her. I couldn't help myself. "Oooh, this hot pink sequened stiletto looks soooooo me! Let me pick it up and examine it closely... Hmm, naaah maybe not. How about this leopard skin clog? Hey, it's my size, let me try it on real quick. Hmm, naaah. Perhaps this strappy little number I wouldn't be caught dead in?"

What can I say, it was fun. And it worked - she got the message and left me alone to browse.

________________
Note to self - mass quantities of vacation days : spending WAY TOO MUCH money :: Gap mucky mucks : spending WAY TOO MUCH money on the Governator's campaigns

No comments:

Post a Comment