Monday, May 30, 2005

Damn you, Murphy, damn you.

And I don't mean Peter Murphy, who apparently has a new album out, which I should investigate. I mean Mr. Murphy - THE Murphy, of 's law fame. So I buy these expensive fancy schmancy cookie sheets with the intention of baking the world's greatest oatmeal raisin cookies to take to some coworkers tomorrow, and batch after batch turned out like crap. I think I did something wrong in the batter, but it's much more satisfying to blame the fancy schmancy cookie sheets (even though I also tried an old cookie sheet to no avail).

Also this weekend...

In Good Company: I stand corrected. If Dennis Quaid sticks to middle-aged washed up sales guys, he will do just fine in what remains of his career. About the movie though... It was cute and endearing and all that shit. But it reminded me too much of my job and left me wishing I had Garden State readily available. So, thumbs hovering midway on that one.

The Sea Inside: OK. I didn't dislike this movie, exactly - in fact I was engaged throughout, but I really didn't see what all the fanfare was about. Oscar worthy? Not that I've seen any of the others, but... really? Again, midway thumbs - but closer to up than down for sure.

2 comments:

  1. Funny thing, when Zack and I finished "In Good Company" he was all, "but they didn't end up together!" (for the unspoiled, this doesn't really ruin the movie) It didn't really bother me too much, even though I thought they were a cute couple and I was rooting for them and all. I thought about it, and realized that the main relationship was between Dan and Carter, and it wasn't the romance. I liked that the ending was ambiguous, and the future was uncertain. I thought about Garden State, and brought up how cheesy and tacked on that ending seemed. Zack conceded that I had a point. "But I still would have liked them to end up together," he still says. I think us rooting for the couple has a lot to do with the actors (and screenwriter) doing a really good job with making the characters likable. Because think about it - say you're 18, this really cute guy is 26, on the rebound from his divorce, and he's your dad's boss. Would it be a good idea to date him? Yeah, you probably date him anyways, but as far as a long term relationship goes...

    Some of the situations *were* uncomfortably close to work, but I did snort wine out my nose at "You switch mocha for CRACK???" line.

    *and they played the Shins

    Okay, I'll stop rambling now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, believe me, I was thrilled that they didn't end up together... and yeah, it was definitely about the boys, not the romance... and yeah, they played the Shins... Not sure why I was left wanting more.

    ReplyDelete