Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Oldies but goodies.

At the suggestion/loan of a friend I recently watched two old movies. I'm usually not a fan of old movies - the ones I've seen have tended to be slow and dry and overly dramatic and full of bad acting and generally snoozeworthy. Not to criticize, of course.

I did enjoy A Star Is Born (the very first original old school one) though. There was just enough cynicism and underlying depression to really engage me, and the acting was terrific... And hey, any Hitchcock movie is okay in my book. If Fredric March's "Star..." performance was any indication, I am betting I will enjoy the third loan as well...

Not an oldie and also not a goodie - The Day after Tomorrow. Never again will I utter, "Jake Gyllenhaal, how bad could it be?" I do have a few questions though... Has our government seen this movie*? Who still thinks that Dennis Quaid can act? And why couldn't the wolves prevail, just ONCE?? Poor wolves.

________________
* And I mean, in the "detriment to the environment" sense, not in the "let's invade Mexico!" sense. Lord knows they don't need any more bright ideas in that department.

1 comment:

  1. Hey - Zack and I just watched "In Good Company" this weekend with Dennis Quaid... it was really good!

    And if you liked "A Star is Born", check out "All About Eve". One of the best movies ever.

    ReplyDelete