Friday, June 20, 2008

Public TMI service announcement.

(OK, this is probably WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION but I thought it was important enough to share, given the scare when I woke up this morning, and several other mornings over the past months. So if this post calms just one person, it's worth knowing I posted about my pee.)

You may recall that I've taken to eating beets lately as part of my newfound cooking habit. Beet salads, beet and goat cheese sandwiches, and last night, just a bowl of roasted beets with candied walnuts and goat cheese. I upped my beet intake partly because I love the smell of roasting beets, partly because I like how they taste and partly because I know they are really good for you. (OK... and partly because it gave me an excuse to eat candied walnuts and goat cheese.)

While I was tossing and turning this morning after seeing shocking pink, as opposed to a very faint pink on previous mornings which caused mild concern until I forgot about it 5 minutes later (I've never been much of a hypochondriac, or one to pay attention to any alarming symptoms, for that matter), it finally dawned on me that it probably had something to do with my dinner last night. Beets stain everything they touch, why wouldn't they turn pee a different color? Turns out, they do.

Isn't science cool?

You may also recall that I've been pretty tired lately, and had attributed it to a combo of fresh air, more exercise and better nutrition (the latter of which made sense at the time for some unknown reason). Apparently, even though beets contain iron, if they turn your pee pink it means you're lacking iron, and iron deficiency makes you tired. I've always been slightly iron deficient because of the lack of red meat in my diet but never noticed this level of fatigue before. (Does wine contain iron? What about pizza? That was pretty much my diet before I moved.)

So today I'm going to buy some iron supplements, eat at least one meal per day that involves beans and/or spinach coupled with something high in Vitamin C for a week, then do another beet pee and energy level test.

Isn't science fun?

________________
There is conflicting information on the Interweb about soy as a good source of iron versus it being an iron-absorbing inhibitor, same for spinach actually, but it looks like wine=bad but pizza=good on the iron scale. I've found nothing either way on beer - and of course I will confirm all this with my new doctor when I start working, but in the meantime my dinner plans tomorrow night (Sparky's pizza and a fine porter) should be A-OK. :)

6 comments:

  1. Beets always turn my pee pink too. (And other stuff that exits my body.) I didn't know that indicated an iron deficiency, though it doesn't surprise me since I've often tested as borderline anemic.

    You should cook on an iron skillet - it actually leeches into the food. Also, I've heard dark beer is high in iron. And consuming vitamin C is important to iron absorption, but I forget if it helps or hinders it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I've pretty much foregone wine in favor of stouts and porters, so that's perfect.

    Vitamin C combined with iron-rich (ironic? haha) food helps absorption. So tonight's dinner is spinach salad with mandarin oranges and almonds plus citrus dressing plus... some kind of protein. And my snack after running is yellow bell peppers with hummus...

    Aren't iron skillets a pain in the ass to clean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use my iron skillet all the time. I found it at a thrift shop for like 3 dollars and they stay perfect forever. Once they're properly seasoned, they are almost as non-stick as teflon. They're heavy as hell, so you'll get a workout using it.

    To clean it properly, you should heat it up on the burner & pour some oil & salt into it & then rub it around with a wadded up towel (I have one just for this purpose) or paper towels. In between those cleanings, I usually just wipe it out with oil or clean it with water. But if you clean it with water, be sure to heat it up & oil it after.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FASCINATING! (i.e., red pee as iron deficiency indicator AND iron skillet maintenance tips) My synapses are firing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK Squeaks - consult your physician, then fire up that skillet and send me some iron-rich recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I *love* roasted beets but they've never turned my pee pink, ever. Then again, I take prenatal vitamins regularly (even when not pregnant...it gives me energy), so I guess I'm getting enough iron.

    Maybe you should take prenatal vitamins. Seriously. :)

    ReplyDelete