Friday, January 27, 2006

Yes, you can call me crazy. Go ahead.

Today I registered for the AIDS Marathon on July 30. Technically speaking I signed up for the full marathon. Mentally I am ready for a 13.x mile run in six months but SOOOOOO NOT READY for a 26.x mile run. But I know people who've done it, and obviously is much easier to train for a full and scale back to a half than vice-versa.

To date I have run 3 miles at a time and been okay. Three goes into 26 eight.point.seven times. That's a lot of running.

It depends completely on my arthritic-since-age-13 knees. My attitude and motivation are there for 26 or 13 or whatever I can physically do. Yeah, I want to stay in shape but I also want to raise money for a good cause. (Well, another good cause. You'll be getting multiple requests for money this year. Sorry, it's the nature of being a good samaritan.)

So although I am close to 100% certain I will regress and simply do the half-marathon, I'm leaving myself open to the possibility. How cool would it be to casually say, "yeah, I ran a marathon"?

And plus I got all this runner paraphernalia for my birthday from my friend who found out I was considering it. So might as well put my new watch, key-holder-that-attaches-to-shoe, and pedicure materials to good use at least for a while.

Figures that the day I got all psyched about mentally and physically prepping for this, the damn gym was closed. Perhaps I should just enjoy my last weekend of pain-free knees and not feel guilty about it...

1 comment:

  1. Best of luck. I know I couldn't run even a half-marathon now.

    ReplyDelete