Monday, January 30, 2006

Either that - or they're of Irish descent.

It occurred to me at the gym tonight that at least one member of The Shins probably worked in an office at some point. Witness:

  • "In our darkest hours we have all asked for some angel to come sprinkle his dust all around. But all our crying voices they can't turn it around and you've had some crazy conversations of your own."
  • "But I learned fast how to keep my head up 'cause I know there is this side of me that wants to grab the yoke from the pilot and just fly the whole mess into the sea... Of course I was raised to gather courage from those lofty tales so tried and true and if you're able I'd suggest it 'cause this modern thought can get the best of you."
  • "I'll try hard not to give in. Battened down to fair the wind. Read my head, at least pretend. Allow myself no mock defense. Step into the night."
  • "But you'll find those lingering voices are just your ego's attempt to make it all clean and nice and make a moron out of you. Crossing a bridge on weakening cables, huddled up in fear and hate because we know our fate and it's a lot to put us through. Most ideas turn to dust as there are few in which we all can trust. Haven't you noticed I've been shedding all of mine? So let's abandon that track and leave our fathers fighting in a sack 'cause we are way too wise-assed for that. We've taken on a climb and it's long enough to put the best of us on our backs. Walking up a slide and there are those we know who'd have us five miles off the track."

No comments:

Post a Comment