Thursday, January 26, 2006

We are spirits in a material world.

I am not making any of the following up.

Monday I went out to the balcony to water my plants. When I opened the balcony sliding door, I noticed that the plastic patio chair I keep outside was right in front of the door. I have no recollection of moving this chair, and moving it there would've been stupid anyway because it was totally in the way. I scratched my head, moved it back to its original position, and watered the plants.

Tuesday morning I woke up to an open closet in my bedroom. I have sliding closet doors, and I purposely keep them closed because Luna likes to go in and climb up my skirts and dresses, eat shoelaces, and generally cause trouble. The open doors alarmed me a little, but in my morning sleepy fog I went about my business and assumed I'd forgotten to close the doors the night before. I closed the doors before I left for work. When I got home from work the closet doors were still closed and Luna was sitting on her perch, staring at the ceiling and meowing incessantly. This is not an unusual occurance. The closet doors were closed when I went to sleep.

Wednesday morning the doors were open and a white t-shirt was laid out on the chair by the closet. I SWEAR I HAVE NO RECOLLECTION OF DOING THAT. There was no reason for it anyway, because I'd ironed something the night before that had no business being worn with a white t-shirt.

At this point, in case you couldn't tell, I was getting a little freaked out. I start to talk to the ceiling, like "um, hello up there? I'm sorry if you suffered a life ceasing event. If there's anything I can do for you please let me know, but leave me a written note (in English because I'm a lame American who doesn't know old or new foreign languages) rather than an abstract 'sign,' OK? You can write it on the mirror in eyeliner or lipstick, I won't mind." And Luna continued to meow incessantly at the ceiling.

I KNOW I closed the closet doors Wednesday night. When I woke up this morning they were open, one all the way, the other about 4 inches open.

So the conversations with the ceiling continue - in fact they're quite extensive right now - while I figure out the least expensive way to determine if I'm sleepwalking. Or if I'm crazy. Or where my next abode will be.

All of this is such an exciting change from my regularly scheduled life, though... So until the tree outside my bedroom window attacks me during a thunderstorm, I'm going to ride it as long as I can...

________________
Mark my words. The closet doors are closed right now.

5 comments:

  1. ummm... you know i believe in spirits, but if i were you, i'd also be concered about a more physical threat, like a stalker. it seems like something someone would do to screw around with your mind. is there any way someone might have a key to your house? or can routinely climb into to your room through the window or something?

    just worried about you, that's all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did consider all of that too. Valid concerns.

    The only people (to my knowledge) who have keys to my apartment are my catsitter (who I trust), a friend/loyal blog reader (who I trust), the building owners (who I trust), and the building manager.

    The building manager's girlfriend moved out recently, coincidentally right after I complained to her about the garage door not shutting. But I am sure that the two are not connected - and I trust him. And her for that matter.

    I live on the second floor which is technically the third floor since we have a garage underneath. The only ones who could possibly climb the unstable, thinly-branched trees outside my apartment are the the Cirque du Soleil squirrels who entertain me by fearlessly jumping from one flimsy tree branch to another flimsy tree branch. I trust them.

    So... Yeah it was a concern for a little while. But once I weighed all the factors, not so much a concern.

    I am leaning more toward the sleepwalking theory right now - especially because I had a dream that I sleepwalked and opened my closet doors. The fact that Luna stares at that corner of the ceiling over the closet, though, still perplexes me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, sorry. I told Luna that if she recited the alphabet fifty times, a fairy up in the corner ceiling would grant her a wish. It kept her busy and off my back. Guess she's holding out for that wish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you also tell her that if she stared at me and meowed for an hour after she'd already been fed, that she would get more food? Can you please tell her, at your earliest convenience, that it ain't happening?

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest, looking at you always gave me the urge to stare and meow. But I prefer to go easy on my pipes.

    ReplyDelete