Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Quick! Something go wrong! Please?

I was all set to attempt an Oregon driver's license and title transfer this afternoon. Getting a license required taking the written test, and because I failed the California driver's test the first time (dang bike laws! we didn't have those in Maryland!), I spent a good hour perusing the driver's manual online before heading off. I was determined not to suffer the same hilarious fate in my new state.

They only allow test-taker entries until 4pm. By the time I got there it was 3:40, by the time my number was called it was 3:59. I glanced at the clock and said, "can I still take the test?" The guy said, "of course, no problem!" Hmm.

Five minutes later, I passed with a 93% (the two I got wrong were stupid, really, things I will never ever need to know in all my years to come of driving, I've forgotten them already). The guy was impressed with my speed and score. "I studied," I shrugged, and he laughed and sent me to the next window. I got all the license stuff taken care of but couldn't do the title transaction because I needed a smog test... So after the lady said "you're officially an Oregonian!" I hurried out the door to try to hit the smog place before they closed at 5:30. I had a general sense but no concrete idea where I was going, but I winged it... got really lost... and at 5:20 stumbled upon the smog place unexpectedly. Hmm.

It took three seconds to get the certificate. They didn't even hook it up to an exhaust hose or anything. "That's IT?" I exclaimed after the guy took my money. "That's it, enjoy Oregon!" the guy said. So now I can hit the DMV again tomorrow morning on my way to run errands. Hmm.

Seriously. People.

I can't seem to get lost even though I've been here three times in my life (I have only consulted a map once since Wednesday), there are no ants in my apartment which I fully expected with all this rain, I can't seem to miss shop hours, my electric stove is awesome for being an electric stove, the cat is adjusting fine, I've found a place for everything in this small apartment, I can't even fail the bloody driver's test.

It's unnerving. If just one teeny thing would go wrong, I think I could put all this anxiety behind me. Job search, fail me now! Just for a little bit. That would help.

Until then, though - I'M OFFICIALLY AN OREGONIAN! Woohoo!

2 comments: