Saturday, May 03, 2008

I do not {heart} packing.

I never minded it before, either because I had so little crap that it didn't take too much time, or because I was only moving 3 blocks so it didn't really matter how I packed.

Now I have to consider box sizes and weight. Initially I had packed several dish packs quite full with heavy things, using the rationale "why not shove as much into this as possible - it's HUGE!" After seeing my former coworker's labels of "pillows" and "lamp [singular]" I wondered why they had used such huge boxes for such lightweight things. It occurred to me to look into this, and it turns out that packing dish packs really heavy is not recommended. Seems like such a waste of space, but whatever.

And so tomorrow I have to unpack those boxes and pack everything into smaller boxes instead. Meh. This is gonna totally throw off my box estimate I initially gave to the moving company. On the plus side, I'm no longer moving the desk, so the additional boxes won't throw off the overall estimate too much.

And my Ikea metal 4-drawer bin doesn't fit into the largest box on the planet so now I have to get rid of that. I didn't really like it anyway - I stored workout clothes in it, and with the mesh racks it left me looking like a waffle when I went to the gym. No love lost there, really.

And I'm going to have to throw away a fair portion of food that I'm not going to be able to eat by Tuesday/Wednesday... Might I interest you in frostbitten frozen broccoli? Whole wheat frozen pasta from last October? A large Tupperware bowl full of various packages of nuts? Previously owned Trader Joe's ketchup?

And so ends the day of frantic packing that was sandwiched between a lovely 2-hour hike in Redwood Park this morning and a bath, an episode or three of BSG, and a glass or three of whiskey starting... now! Because:

Q: Who needs a drink?
A: I DO.

No comments:

Post a Comment