Sunday, May 25, 2008

And and and...?

Last night I went to a comedy club in the next town. I found out about it through this singles events web site. As the hours led up to me getting ready to go, I started to dread it. Judging from the profiles of the people who were going, I wouldn't have very much in common with them. And it was far (a 40 minute one-way MAX ride). But the comedy show was free to the first 6 RSVP'ers (I was #3) and it's not like I had anything more interesting to do last night.

And so I went. Or I attempted to, anyway. I ended up getting off a stop early accidentally and walking about 2.5 miles instead of the promised .4 miles to the club. I was {this} close to calling the gal to let her know I was giving up and going home, but then I stumbled upon it.

And it was fun. The group was small, the people were nice. A few of us had some things in common, and a few of the others suggested more web sites I should check out for hiking, running and other self-interests. The comedian was amusing, for the most part. The beer was good.

And then we walked outside and it was pouring. A pair of folks who'd come together offered me a ride to the MAX (which Oh. My. God I was so grateful for). In the car the three of us talked about job searching and I got some good tips. And after an uneventful (read: no small child turning around every 3 seconds to stare directly at me until I looked at them, which was my ride to the comedy club) train ride home and a short walk in the rain I was glad I went.

And man, did I have a headache this morning. After a lousy two beers. I must be losing my touch.

And now I've bored myself just writing all this down but I figured I should share something about my adjustment that didn't have to do with hiking. To that end, I also volunteered Friday with the local version of the "old job" and that was fun, I have an interview on Wednesday for a job I don't really want but it will be good practice, I sent an application for a job I really do want yesterday (cross your fingers), and I'm making some headway on this contract work so at some point in the near future I'll get my first check and treat myself to a nice dinner.

And for lunch I had the tastiest grilled cheese ever, along with some tomato soup. That should be the mandatory meal for anyone sitting inside while the rain falls.

And so it goes, and so it goes... But where it's goin' no one knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment