Monday, March 27, 2006

On life, and some junk.

I've been thinking more and more about what I want to do with my life. I don't want to be a VP. I don't want to climb ye olde corporate ladder, despite everyone's best efforts to get me to do so. I hate the politics, I hate the bureaucracy, and I do think that it's all the same no matter where you go. So for now I am content to lead small teams on small efforts in corporate America, while I build up my savings so that I can travel and buy a house. And then I want to do something totally altruistic to earn my keep on this planet. Or something random but tangible - carpentry, veterinarian, something along those lines. The older I get, the more people I meet who share the same values - and I am so appreciative of that validation.

Recently I've been really impatient with people who "play the victim." Bitch about your job all you want - hell, we've all been there. But corporate America doesn't care about you - they only care about the bottom line. If you really want me to pay attention (and, frankly, give a rat's ass), show me that you are doing something to better yourself. Don't just pretend that they're all out to get you. Don't just sit idly by and let it happen. This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. In my world, you only get one life...

And some junk: I end this with a chant I learned a long time ago from the Animaniacs, one which I actually repeat to myself when I get overwhelmed with all this corporate bullshit:

"Ooooooom... and some junk."

Try it. It's quite therapeutic.

No comments:

Post a Comment