Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Rationalization nation.

I have decided not to pursue a new kitten at this time. I know I said I was going to use the rest of my vacation to obtain and socialize said new kitten with Her Majesty. However, I think the timing is not right because I have friends staying with me next weekend, and trying to keep two cats separated with three people in a one-bedroom apartment is an overwhelming thought.

It's also pretty expensive to obtain a new kitten! Berkeley Humane Society (rightfully) asks for $100, and add to that the new toys, food, climby thing, etc, and the costs associated with making sure Her Majesty is up to par for a new addition, and... well, last year's bonus wasn't THAT great.

Oh and also. I was thinking about the undue stress this addition would cause me and Her Majesty for probably about a month. It probably wouldn't be quite as stressful as the last attempt, according to everyone I know who says cats adapt to kittens better than cats. But frankly, I just can't deal with undue stress right now. So for now I've vowed to spend more time with Her Majesty, which involves a lot of me sitting on the couch. I'm okay with that. It probably also means a lot more of this:


I'm okay with that too.

Speaking of undue stress and couching - time to finish The Exorcism of Emily Rose, which I couldn't get through last night... Um, because I was tired, not scared. Yeah, that's it. Uh huh.

5 comments:

  1. Add one more rationalization: a second cat locks you in further as the Crazy Cat Lady with her autonomous feline family. Explain to Luna that you're leaving room available so that when you meet a fine fellow with his own cat (as should be expected for a person of quality) your combined household won't be overwhelming.

    At least that's how my human explains my own lack of siblings. Granted, he also now lets me outside to play with the cats downstairs, and got me a smart looking collar. Well dressed cat-about-town at your service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rationalization did cross my mind, actually...

    My Crazy Cat Lady neighbor has a hugging cat and also a kitten, so I'll just mooch off her when I need a fix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I have decided not to pursue a new kitten at this time."

    For just a moment, I thought this was the start of a novel non-resignation letter. (As in, "I'm not retiring, and, no, I'm not returning the gifts.")

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only I were that clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also tell Luna you're considering a monkey instead.

    ReplyDelete