Sunday, April 09, 2006

Because if you can't laugh...

After reading an email with a laundry list of their recently-diagnosed health issues, I called my parents in a worried state to see how they were doing. I first talked to my mom, who laughed about all her health woes and talked excitedly about her upcoming trip to the beach, updated me on the extended family's cancer episodes and heart attacks, and handed me over to Dad. Who joked about his hearing aid (dear blessed lord THANK YOU he finally got a fucking hearing aid) and then handed the phone back to Mom.

They've really come a long way, from obsessing over their health issues (back when they were still smoking 900 packs a day even after having heart attacks and cancer and other terrible ailments) to now writing them off to old age and past poisons, and just enjoying life while they have it. They're still mentally so young, but their bodies are not, and I am acutely aware of that.

So much so, that I think one of these days when Mom asks when I'm moving back east, I'll actually have an ETA.

But it certainly won't be before July - not till I finish this freakin' marathon.

________________
I think that Six Feet Under really brings out this need to be closer to home. (I watched 4 episodes today.)

No comments:

Post a Comment