Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A strangely rare music review.

You would think that since I am obsessed with music, I'd offer more commentary on recent spins. I still don't go to enough shows and I still don't seek out the indie stuff often enough, but yesterday on one of the crappy local morning radio shows they were talking incessantly about Wolf Parade. And how awesome this band is, except that one of the DJs didn't think so, but apparently he was a moron, and Wolf Parade was the NEXT. BIG. THING.

So I did a little research and actually learned that their album was on a DVD of about a thousand indie bands a friend recently burned for me. All 100% legally burned of course - I sent all the bands royalty checks and everything. Um, yeah.

I'm still weeding my way through the DVD alphabetically and Wolf Parade starts with W, which is why I hadn't realized I have this album already. So I listened to it just now.

I don't know about Wolf Parade being the NEXT. BIG. THING. They're either a bit dated, or they sound sorta like Modest Mouse. I think I prefer Modest Mouse, personally.

I do concur that this particular DJ is a moron though. Just on general principal.

And speaking of moronic morning DJs, it seems that two of them on another moronic station are now properly engaged. Not to each other - that would actually just be funny - but to members of the opposite sex who do not work for the radio station. So apparently the morons are preparing to breed. Oh, the humanity.

________________
I suppose I should be cautious, since someone recently emailed the latter morons with a link to a blog critiquing their show, and they read lots of her posts aloud in a mocking tone. But really, I just don't care. If you have to read my blog on the air to fill the time, you've got bigger problems than my critique.

Oh and also, it drives me nuts when people bitch about radio station DJs but continue to listen to them just to complain about them ongoing. I should caveat this to say that I only listen to the morons when I'm in my car driving to/fro the gym in the wee hours, because it's easy to punch a button during commercial breaks. Otherwise it's all KFOG all the time in the mornings for me. Their musical selections aren't always great but they do at least have brains.

4 comments:

  1. "...(A)t least they [KFOG] do have brains."

    All except Irish Greg, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've pretty much given up on commercial radio, though sometimes the dial slips to Live 105 or Alice. A while back, I began to find most morning shows pretty irritating, so I started listening to Morning Edition... it's what we tune into on our alarm clock. Since then, I've become a real NPR junkie. When I was in SoCal, I couldn't get NPR tuned in clearly and I was going nuts! I'm totally hooked on their Saturday programs, especially This American Life and Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me. Zack was pretty surprised to find me listening to Cah Tawk - hey, those Tappert brothers are pretty funny! Fresh Air usually has interesting guests and for music, both World Cafe and Morning Becomes Eclectic can be good. A Prairie Home Companion can be funny, but I can only handle it on small doses. They don't exactly play the kind of music I usually choose to listen to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, Wolf Parade is totally overrated. I don't get it either. The Decemberists and Spoon are much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, but Irish Greg has that Irish accent. Gasp and swoon.

    I've loved the Decemberists forever now (if you see no other live shows the rest of your life, see them) and recently got into Spoon.

    ReplyDelete