Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Pessimism city - population ME.

I have been obsessing for the past week over the fact that I misplaced Crazy Cat Lady Neighbor's spare keys that I use when I catsit for her. I mean, obsessing. (I'm pretty sure I threw the keys away with the trash the last time I fed the "kids" - I'd only gotten 2 hours of sleep the night before so anything is possible.)

See, she's kind of, um, particular, shall we say. A few months ago I took her dry laundry out of the dryer (all blankets) and folded it neatly and left it on the top of the dryer while I dried my clothes. Apparently the blankets fell off the dryer after it ran for a while, and she didn't know it was me who put them there, so she left a slightly catty note saying "if you must remove clothes kindly make sure my clothes don't fall on the floor" or some shit. WTFE, lady. I considered leaving a note back saying "I folded your damn clothes, kindly get your shit out on time, or leave a basket for your shit, as the sign suggests, so that this isn't an issue going forward." But of course I let it go.

Anywho. Last week she left me a note asking if I could feed the "kids" this weekend, and I was just imagining the conversation that would ensue. "How do you lose spare keys? Why did you wait so long to tell me? You're paying for a new lock."

She came by tonight to drop off another set. She was very nice. It's all fine. In general, she is very nice. She's had me over for male-bashing dinners and we've had tons of hallway conversations and the like. I don't know why I projected this insane reaction to my minor mistake.

I really don't.

Who on earth would react like I imagined she would?

The only thing I can think is that I'm feeling particularly insecure in my new "assignment" at work, and that's translating to other areas of my life. It doesn't help that I haven't heard a word about the eight applications I put out two weeks ago. It doesn't help that I have to sit in all-day meetings once a week feeling insecure the entire time. It doesn't help that I couldn't care less about failing in this "assignment" - you would think it would.

I wish I could end on a funny note. But I can't right now... so leave a punchline, will ya? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment