Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Still wondering why this is an issue. Still.

I took advantage of the snow day and the mandatory fun movie gift certificate prize to catch a Milk matinee. (Sadly, I forgot the cookies. Ba-dum-bum.)

Dear readers. Run, do not walk. From what I've seen Van Sant can either be dead on or way off - usually there's no in-between. Milk was dead on. The audience was riveted. There weren't that many people in the theater, but it occurred to me afterward that no one left to use the bathroom during the whole 128 minutes. And everyone - everyone, young and old, male and female, presumably gay and straight - was sniffling at the end.

Going into it, I knew that Harvey Milk was the first openly gay public official and that he was killed by someone who claimed the laughable "Twinkie defense." Having seen it, and knowing that it took the opinions and perspectives of many of his friends into account, I am so sad that I could not know him and be a part of what he created. What an amazing loss to the world... I wonder where the gay rights movement would be if he were still alive.

James Franco needs an award of some sort. (Has he always been so fantastic? I've only seen him in the Spidermans and In the Valley of Elah. And Freaks & Geeks eons ago but that's now queued for reviewing for other reasons... Must queue everything else immediately. Er, everything except Tristan & Isolde that is.) Josh Brolin's drunken blathering in that one scene deserves a super special award. And hello - Tom Ammiano's cameo? I wondered if he would make an appearance, and boy, did he.

Speaking of awards, pretty soon the annual Oscar Poll will be sent out. Mark my words - Sean Penn's statue goes without saying. I will eat a cookie if I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment