Saturday, December 06, 2008

Belated Friday five.

Five things I recommend, in no particular order:

  • Away from Her. Heartbreaking but realistic, which made it all the more amazing. I don't know why Gordon Pinsent wasn't nominated for more awards. He made me cry time and time again; she did not - but I admired her character's bravado and I imagine my mom would be the same way in that situation. And I can only hope I would.
  • Blitzen Trapper. Especially Furr. If you like that, I have more for you.
  • Prop 8 - The Musical. Surely you've been viral-marketed about this by now. Watch it again (and again and again) and ponder why Sarah Chalke gets less screen time than Darryl from The Office, and why Maya Rudolph is funny even though she's so not funny, and WHY THIS IS EVEN AN ISSUE GODDAMMIT. And while you're at it, make my clothes and fix my hair.
  • The Mountain Goats Radio on Last.fm. It's been spinning for about 5 hours now and I've only had to "ban" two songs. That's pretty amazing considering how "ban" happy I get with this application.
  • Staying put for the holidays. There's not really a link for that (other than this, which I will be watching on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, you betcha) but I can't tell you how happy I am to not deal with packing stress, catsitter stress, airline germs, crabby people, family stress... I will definitely miss seeing the folks, family and friends (especially my long losts whom I've gotten reacquainted with through the magic of the interweb). I will not miss having to mail stuff, that's going to be a royal pain this year. But I'm excited to see what Portland has to offer over the next month. I don't think I'll be disappointed... Okay, really, I'm mostly excited to not have the flu over New Year's like every year for the last six years. Not that I plan to do anything. It will just be nice to just be.

1 comment: