Tuesday, December 16, 2008

2008 soundtrack.

Songs that held some significance for me this year.*

  • Sons and Daughters - The Decemberists: They played this at the '06 Warfield show. They played this at the PDX Obama rally. They played this at their November '08 show. "Hear all the bombs, they fade away." Chokes me up whenever I hear it, and I've heard it A LOT. And I heard A LOT of people singing it at their most recent show. Change is coming, yes we did, etc., etc. is it 2009 yet?!
  • The Luckiest - Ben Folds: I only got into this guy this year. WTH is wrong with me? He's amazing. Oh, and my future husband better future love this song because it's the only one I will future dance to at our future wedding.
  • Wish - Nine Inch Nails: got me through many, many boring runs and many more to come, I'm sure. (And some work stuff too.)
  • Roam - B52s: still a fantastic song after all these years. Follows the CA->OR migration theme.
  • Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - Green Day: this came on when I started the car on the way home from my last CHM BBQ as an Oaktown resident... I know it's intended to be a break-up song but {sniff} I love you guys! Still think of that moment when I hear the chords.
  • Chinese Translation - M. Ward: Hands down my favorite song by this guy. I listen to it whenever I need to make a decision, and somehow I seem to make the right one.
  • Kiss Off - Violent Femmes: can't go a month (er... week?) without listening to this song. See them next time they're in your town. Yes, they're eight million years old. Just SEE THEM.
  • Van Helsing Boombox - Man Man: this is a fairly tame song but these guys are insane. I love them.
  • Rakim - Dead Can Dance: rediscovered these guys after a many-year hiatus. Hauntingly wonderful.
  • I'm Not Wearing Underwear Today - Brian from Avenue Q: "Not that you probably care much about my underwear, still, nonetheless I gotta say, that I'm not wearing underwear today!" I sing this at work a lot (while wearing underwear and all other usual clothing).
I totally stole this idea. Except I was too lazy for YouTube... You can find all this on last.fm, or email me and I'll hook you up. With bonus material. :) Thanks Squeaks!

OK, your turn? Yes, you.

---
*Not necessarily released in 2008.

2 comments:

  1. :) I serendipitously stumbled upon Ben Folds this year, too. Another notable: Iron & Wine (e.g., Boy With A Coin).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them, I have to be in the right mood though.

    ReplyDelete