Sunday, July 06, 2008

Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you.

I can't think of anything more boring than ironing. To that end, I try to keep a random movie in the queue that will automagically appear every few weeks when I know I'll have a good pile of ironing stacked up. Today's ironing movie was Bug.

One pair of ironed pants later, I couldn't remember why I thought this might be an interesting movie. It was awfully slow, and Ashley Judd isn't exactly high up on my "must see" list.

Three pairs of pants later - oh yeah, Harry Connick, Jr. {Heart.}

Five pairs of pants later, it just got strange. I really didn't know whether to laugh or cringe, or both. I thought I remembered it being about a government conspiracy, but then it started to remind me of Eraserhead so out of curiousity I re-read the DVD cover. Oh yeah, it was directed by William Friedkin, who brought you such fine films as The Exorcist and The French Connection. And it won an award at Cannes. And it really was about bugs.

Last pair of pants and oh dear lord REALLY? He went there? And then he took it there? And then... YIKES. I couldn't help but put the iron down and stare. And then it was over so I went to the special features while I finished my shirts, hoping to make some sense of any of what I'd just witnessed - which was brilliantly acted but absolutely insane.

No such luck. Mostly Friedkin just lamented about filmmaking in his day, when they actually used film, and had to block scenes based on when the director would call "cut," not based on how many camera angles they could work at once, and how they had to carry heavy 35mm cameras barefoot for ten miles in three feet of snow (uphill both ways, of course).

But they finally got to interviewing the actors, and the actors talked about the challenges and benefits of working in such a small confined set. I realized that in addition to the brilliant acting, the cinematography of this bizarre little movie was actually quite brilliant as well.

So... Do what you will with this information. But sleep tight tonight - don't let the bed bugs bite. MWAHAHAHAHAHA.

No comments:

Post a Comment