Sunday, September 28, 2008

Link-o-mania.

I am officially calling it a day on the magic book goal.

Turns out I have covered almost all the topics in the book. Some have been covered in my recent marathon to finish this ridiculous goal. Others were covered in the 16 months after I bought the book. Some were even covered before I bought the book. Like the time I explained my scars, or that other time when I interviewed someone I admired (okay, technically I didn't interview him, but it's worth reminding you about), or all those times I showed some family pride.

So what's left? Well, a bunch of them are kind of redundant. For example, sharing expertise is pretty similar to the "ten universal truths" idea which is pretty similar to Idea #5 that I just wrote about. So I'll pass.

Some are obvious. How to save good ideas? Write them down, silly!

Others are specific to the person writing or reading. For example, my daily coping habit: "now is not a good time to be unemployed," repeat ad nauseum, probably doesn't apply to you. (Perhaps that's a bad example. Let me find another.) My idea of "best of" posts is probably different than your idea of "best of" posts, plus that just seems narcissistic (though I did go through the exercise of reading through old posts and culling favorites, so I might use it for a Friday five at some point).

Still others are snooze worthy. Do you really care about my perfect meal? (More importantly, do I? As long as it comes with a bottle of Suntory Yamazaki 25 year, I'm good.) Do you want to know how I throw a good party? (I think I've thrown two parties in my life and also, um, duh, it's all about whoever you're throwing the party for. Showcase them and all will be golden.)

Otherwise... I don't need to tell you about the causes I support - you already know. I'm not clever enough to think up a spoof, a quiz, a snail mail project, an unnecessary science project, or a community web project or community art project that requires your participation.

I have no interest in reading through old journal entries and emails to post something cringe-worthy; I also haven't gotten any voice mails or texts that you would appreciate (though I've gotten many that I've appreciated). I've "placed" myself on Facebook and Google Earth - no need to do it here too.

I will never write a book so I don't need to write the first paragraph here. And you must be kidding if you think I'm going to try to figure out how to post a video to this blog...

I mean no disrespect to the magic book author with these comments. Surely she never intended her book o'ideas to be employed in such a hardcore manner. All that matters is that it inspired me to write when I didn't have ideas; I probably wrote about things I would've never thought about or been brave enough to write about; and her web site inspires me daily. So thank you, Mighty Girl!

And with that, I officially check this quarterly goal off the list. Hmm. Now what the hell am I going to write about?

No comments:

Post a Comment