Sunday, September 07, 2008

Belated Friday five.

I am pretty sure this will be of interest to... um, no one... but that's never really stopped me before.

This week was Musicfest NW, where allegedly 216 bands played over the course of four nights in venues all over Portland. I can't vouch for that number but I do know that I had a very hard time picking who to see with my $50 all-access wristband:

My initial strategy was the obvious: plan the nights around M Ward, Menomena/Helio Sequence, TV on the Radio and Vampire Weekend. This strategy changed after Wednesday night - out of exhaustion Thursday I skipped M Ward and stayed on my side of the river instead, and I'm so glad I did. The new strategy involved seeing as many random out-of-state bands as possible, in as many new venues as possible, and saving the big ticket names for when I can buy an actual ticket (big or otherwise) and guarantee myself a place at the show.

After way too much time on MySpace, I learned that many of the bands were local so planning around out-of-state bands became a slight challenge. So was convincing myself to go to these out-of-state band shows instead of local shows because the local folks sounded more interesting. (But I can see them anytime, right? Yeah. Famous last words.)

Anyway. Five random shows (of 13 total) I was happy I attended, in no particular order:

  • Oxford Collapse: three boys from NYC. I'm not up on my music terminology - they were, perhaps, garage punk? Maybe just rock & roll? More importantly, they were completely unpretentious and they genuinely enjoyed playing for the crowd (unlike local favorites Starfucker, who get no hyperlink!, who played later that night, who oozed theatrical pretension, who looked so very bored to be there, who cut their set in half and who just bugged me in general). I bought a CD but it doesn't come close to their live performance. Check out: If It Dies in Peoria Then Who The Hell Cares?, mostly because that's a great name for a song - like I said, they are much better live.
  • Best Fwends: two boys from Ft Worth, Texas who don't like their name. I'm not too fond of it either, but I checked them out anyway. Their show began with running commentary and occasional choreography about/to More Human than Human, and there began my mental comparison to Flight of the Conchords blended with early Dead Milkmen. They seemed to genuinely have a good time, and it was an all-ages venue so the energy from the young folks was contagious. Check out: House Ghost.
  • Bodies of Water: when these LA guys and gals first started setting up, they looked like your average band - t shirts/flannels and jeans. Then the gal in the black bodysuit came onstage and I knew I was in for something interesting... I really have nothing to compare them to, other than maybe a less refined, less gloomy Arcade Fire. But I really liked their set. Check out: These Are the Eyes.
  • Xavier Rudd: I'd heard of this Australian fellow before. Since I'd never been to the Crystal Ballroom I figured I'd check him out. At first I wasn't entirely sold on the music, but I was definitely impressed that two people could make that much noise. Maybe the herbal air eventually got to me because he won me over, and it was a great show. Check out: Choices (not one of the louder songs, but very pretty).
  • Dan Deacon: not something I would normally listen to live or otherwise, but he was recommended by a coworker. Other than berating me and the rest of the old folks in the back of the room for not participating in his dance-off, I enjoyed this NYC guy's show a lot. Check out: Mark Brown.
The only regrets were that I skipped Matt and Kim to try for TV on the Radio with no luck, which I knew would be the case; that I was too tired to stick it out for the whole Old 97's show; and that I didn't get in line earlier for the Built to Spill show - I waited in line for 45 minutes, only to get in for the last three songs. ("But... but I have a wristband!") But honestly, it was hot as hell inside, and we could hear the show from the line, and it was nice and breezy outside, and there was a gorgeous sunset, and some nice man was giving out free ice cream... So I'm not complaining.

And five venues (of 9 total) I will be visiting again soon:
  • Roseland: I've never had to walk through metal detectors before seeing a show. But it's a decent sized space and I'll be going there to see Flogging Molly in October.
  • Doug Fir: oh my God, BEST. VENTILATION. EVER. I was actually cold during the show.
  • Wonder Ballroom: a 10-minute walk from my apartment. (In fact... I walked to all the shows on the east side, and walked to the free MAX to get to the west side to walk to shows. I love this small town.)
  • Dante's: the first place I visited in Portland. It never really fills up and porters are $3.75. Can't beat that with a stick. Well, I guess you could.
  • Crystal Ballroom: the floor? It really bounces!
And now, I need another nap.

________________
Alternate post titles:
"I lost my hearing and all I got was this lousy wristband."
"Writing sample #1 toward my music review career."
"I am too old for this shit."

3 comments:

  1. I stand corrected - Dan Deacon is a Balmer guy, which I now remember is a big reason I decided to go to his show.

    I'm starting to think I should try to get a job here. This review says what I would've said if I wanted to take 500 words to say it, and when you add in a few words like "uber pretentious" and "pouty" and "whatEVER" this could've been my Starfucker review.

    Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'd make an AWESOME music reviewer. You already kick the others' ass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - it's definitely on the "list of things to investigate." :)

    ReplyDelete