Saturday, August 02, 2008

One shy of a late Friday five.

Four movies I've seen lately, in no particular order:

  • Diggers: I really, really, really liked this movie. Really. It's charming and witty and outright funny at times. Sort of the Big Chill for my generation, except set in the 70's and without the cool soundtrack. And Paul Rudd doesn't hurt its case. (I {heart} Paul Rudd.) Seriously though, really good movie.
  • Winter Passing: This movie left me wondering why I haven't seen every single movie Ed Harris has ever made. And then I remembered that he was in National Treasure 2, and my wonder was resolved. (Other than that one I'm doing pretty good on the Ed Harris IMDB list though.) Anyway. Another very good movie. Stellar cast and Will Ferrell's small part is priceless. Bonus: the soundtrack for this movie made up for the lack of great soundtrack for Diggers. I found some songs on iTunes and I'll be hunting the whole soundtrack down soon.
  • First Snow: I was intrigued by the premise (psychic future telling), the writer (same guy who brought you Children of Men, which, if you haven't seen - OMG SEE IT), and the non-lead cast members (William Fichtner, JK Simmons). The lead was Guy Pearce. I keep hoping for a repeat performance of Memento, and I never get it. This movie turned into an ironing movie. So, in other words, meh.
  • The Dark Knight: Truth be told, I'm not a Batman fan. I think it's because when I was 14, I babysat Satan's offspring who was only allowed to watch Sesame Street and Batman reruns (the original, old school, Adam West KAPOW ZOWIE show) so I have bad associations with Batman. Plus they keep switching out the Batmans, and it's never clear whether he's good or bad in the public's eye, and it just gets so tiresome to keep up with. I've only seen one other Batman movie and that would've been the 1989 one where Jack Nicholson played the Joker. On the other hand, I am a Christopher Nolan fan (see Memento comment above), and a Heath Ledger fan, and a Christian Bale fan. And a Michael Caine fan and a Morgan Freeman fan. So you would think all that would equal me loving this movie. Yeah... Not so much. Ledger stole the show for sure, I really only enjoyed the scenes he was in - but Oscar worthy? I don't know about all that. And $7 worthy? Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment