Tuesday, August 05, 2008

A real public service announcment on soy.

Too much soy is bad for you. So said my doctor yesterday. Then she echoed this guy's comment that "miso, natto and tempeh are also OK, but avoid tofu." And then she added, "and edamame is the worst." (No, edamame is the best, silly! Tempeh is the worst!)

By "too much," she said that once or twice a week is fine, but that I should stick with legumes and nuts the rest of the week for protein.

What. The. Hell. What's a vegetarian to do? I don't like beans that much.

I haven't found a credible source of information online yet, unless you count the guy's article entitled "Soy is making kids 'gay'!" (I don't.) Or all the blogs that say "my trusted source told me..." (I don't. People reading: don't call this post "trusted information.") And I'm running out of time this morning. I smell a lunchtime google.

Regardless, I suspect in a week soy will be the bee's knees again. But just in case, I'm letting that tofu in my refrigerator marinate in its Mediterranean spices for another day instead of having it for dinner twice in a row.

________________
If anyone out there finds a credulous source for this information please post it here, thanks!

2 comments:

  1. The Berkeley Wellness Letter, which I believe is the authority on nutritional info, says that soy is beneficial and any claims that it might be harmful are unsubstantiated. Of course, that was in 2002. Not sure what they've said recently on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still don't have anything conclusive on this, but I did get this header line in gmail today. Yum!

    ReplyDelete