Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Oh noes...

I'm officially one of THEM.

You know THEM. THEY turn up their nose at you if you haven't memorized every word of all 700 pages of every Harry Potter book. THEY look the other way when you stare blankly at the mention of some obscure piece of classical music that was written by a famous composer before he wrote the famous piece of classical music you might actually recognize (maybe). THEY shun you when you do not worship the Mac.

Today at work I got visibly agitated when a youngster hipster type was telling an older (read: my age) hipster type that he "should check out this thing called Dr. Horrible, it's by that guy who did that Buffy show. Crazy mad scientist singing blog thing." He replied, "huh, yeah maybe I'll check that out."

Those were their exact words.

Note the nonchalance! The lack of interest! The not-running-back-to-the- cube-immediately-to-Google-this-wonderful-creation!

I wanted to scream, "NO! If you didn't know about this before now... If you haven't already memorized the songs... If you are not thrilled with the knowledge that this exists... If you don't even KNOW HIS NAME... You are not worthy!" Instead I interrupted their conversation with "it's actually pretty brilliant." And then I grumbled under my breath for the next 10 minutes.

What are THEY... um... WE even called? "Uber geeks"? "Snob geeks"? "Sneeks"? (Um, "annoying"?) Urban Dictionary was no help tonight. Can I just call myself "whedonesque"? It has a nice ring to it. And I haven't read any Harry Potter books. (Yet.)

1 comment:

  1. And then? Horror upon horror, no calling me a geek. I was watching season 6 reruns last night, and it got to the point where it was appropriate to shout out "GILES! YAY!" and I was mad at myself for not remembering that the scene was coming. But I still shouted out "GILES! YAY!", complete with arms in the air like I'd just won a gold medal at the Olympics.

    Sigh. I just {heart} that character.

    ReplyDelete