Monday, December 26, 2005

Ladies and gentleman, I give you...

... a really long movie with incredibly drawn-out longing wistful looks between Beauty and the Beast!

I mean really. I know it's a love story and all, but PLEASE.

Other than that, and the dinosaur fights* (which were cool in and of themselves but seemed thrown in just so that Jackson could show off his crew's CGI skills - which, in my untrained opinion, were overall not as clean as in the LOTR films), and the fact that it's three hours long, and I'm sorry but who gives a flying fig about Jimmy Elliott and how was he critical to the film?, and have I mentioned the over-extended puppy dog eyes between Beauty and the Beast?...

Other than that, it was pretty good. The Beast's expressions were touching. Jack Black was great and Tom Hanks' son also did a fine job. I was on the edge of my seat during a few of the scenes. There was enough random humor to lessen the intensity. Did I mention Adrien Brody? Adrien Brody.

So given all that, it was worth almost every penny of my $6.

________________
* If you do see it, watch for Lumpy actively smoking while he runs like hell from the dinosaurs. I bet he thought that character trait up himself.

Unrelated - when I was in eighth grade I pretty much lost faith in "the Almighty" and all that surrounds it because my Sunday School teacher could not give me a definitive answer as to why the dinosaurs weren't in the Bible. "They weren't important to the story," she kept saying. If only this magical place had been around! Why didn't a T Rex swallow Jonah? Why weren't there two brachiosauruses (brachiosauri?) and two pterodactyls on the Ark? Did God kill off the dinosaurs? All your answers in one convenient Southern Baptist tourist trap! Now how much would you pay?

(Are you officially scared for mankind right now or what?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment