Monday, December 26, 2005

I thought I'd never say the phrase "I thought you'd never ask."

It's such a cliche, such a silly phrase. Such a bad-romantic-comedy thing to say. I really hoped to get through life without having said it.

Took a wine country train tour today with the folks. We had a nice meal and then retired to the lounge car for coffee and dessert. Unlike the dining car, which (of course) had tables, the lounge car had seats directly facing the windows so we could all have a nice view. We were sitting next to another family of three, two parents on holiday visiting their son who was about my age. We exchanged some pleasantries and went back to our respective conversations.

After about 20 minutes of us (the kids) saying things and them (our hard-of-hearing dads who were sitting next to us) saying "What?!", and us (the kids) repeating what we had just said, we (the kids) looked at each other. Having said about two words to each other before this, the conversation went something like this:

Him: "I'm going to stretch my legs for a minute, would you like to take a walk through the train?"
Me (getting up immediately): "I thought you'd never ask."

No comments:

Post a Comment