Thursday, January 20, 2005

Send lawyers, guns and money...

Just kidding. I did not get arrested. I did not even call my parents on the way home pretending that I was calling from jail. (I fully intended to, but I was so depressed afterward that it didn't seem worth the effort.)

So. My area of the left coast has WAY better signs. And WAY better turnouts. And WAY fewer bonehead anarchist types who can't even set a flag on fire with a can of lighter fluid (though to be fair, they did manage to set themselves on fire a few times which, from my vantage point, is what caused the flags to eventually catch fire).

We also have way fewer snipers watching menacingly from building tops, way fewer ladies parading around in fur coats on their way to the many parties of the evening, and way more ability to organize a gimongous group of people in a short time frame to speak out against He Who Shall Not Be Named. I have not felt so out of place (and frankly, so disappointed but in a not-surprised way) in my hometown as I did today.

All this, added to the fact that yesterday on the plane I read Letters from Mississippi and then watched Mississippi Burning at the suggestion of my parents (after a discussion about the Freedom Summer)... All this has left me utterly bummed about humanity. I suppose I should revel in the energy of the protesters today and the civil rights workers in 1964 and the fictitious FBI agents who took on the KKK, but really, it just makes me very tired. Why is something that seems so logical - so much like common sense and decency - so utterly foreign to all these people including our leader-for-the-next-four-years-God-help-us??

I really just don't get it. I suppose I never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment