Monday, January 03, 2005

And in the spirit of 2004 top five lists...

But sans pop culture references because I really didn't get out much last year,* I bring you, in no particular order except for #1 of course, with many left off for brevity's sake, the top ten pets of 2005 (because five - hell, even ten - ain't enough):

10. Harper, the silent but deadly type.
9. Bernie, the hairy loveable leaning dog.
8. Sadie, the witching hour calls you (or wait, maybe it's the living room couch).
7. Sammie, one of the most tolerant dogs around.
6. Ansel, may she rest in peace, fweepsters unite.
5. Earl, may he rest in peace, give 'em hell in kitty heaven.
4. Gandalf, who ripeth apart the fuzzy mice.
3. Oscar-formerly-Oz, never shall the beast be tamed, rock on little man.
2. Cairo, ever living vicariously through your owner (or vice versa).
1. And of course Luna, may she reign supreme for all eternity.

Don't worry. I won't go all Jon Carroll on you. I promise. But furry friends are more important than pop culture sometimes. Most times, actually.

________________
*I honestly did try to do a 'top 5 movies,' 'top 5 books,' 'top 5 albums' list to accompany this but I got disgusted with myself when I could only think of 4 movies I'd seen, 3 albums I'd bought, and - this is the worst - one book I'd read last year. Then I realized I'd only read one book last year that was actually written last year. Somehow, though, that didn't make me feel much better. So yeah. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind rocked; Garden State was pretty great too. The latest Beastie Boys is really awesome (as is the latest Green Day and the latest R.E.M.). And I think it goes without saying that I adored - yes, adored - America (The Book)... So there's your informal top what-have-you list. To more pop culture in 2005!!

2 comments:

  1. "Lassie is not a cat," per Jon Carroll.

    I'll say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Third place isn't bad, I'll take that. But no thanks for getting my hopes up. Two months on in the new home, and suddenly I'm once more cohabitating with a vaccuum cleaner. Rotten luck! I'm half tempted to think those things turn up specifically because of me.

    ReplyDelete