Sunday, October 05, 2008

I really need to stop drunk Netflixing.

I can only imagine that is the reason for my random mailbox entries...

Gone Baby Gone: I was actually looking forward to this - it got a good review from a friend whose movie reviews I trust, and never mind the Ben connection - Amy Ryan can do no wrong in my book. But I spent half the movie trying to figure out what the hell everyone was saying and the other half trying to figure out why everything I watch these days is about police corruption. However... as with Mystic River and American Beauty - both of which I hated immediately after seeing - I haven't been able to stop thinking about this movie, and I think that means it's actually quite brilliant. Let me know your thoughts.

The Brave One: If I could say something to Clint Eastwood it would be that he needs to DIRECT, not act. I would say the same to Jodie Foster. At least I got to see her kiss Naveen Andrews. Mmmmm... Naveen Andrews. And interact with Terrence Howard. Mmmmm... Terrence Howard.

Dreamgirls: Oh dear god. I am totally sure this was a lovely movie but it sat on my TV for weeks - WEEKS - before I even contemplated watching it, and today's rainy-day-catch-up-on-Netflix-sitting-on-my-TV-for-weeks endeavor did not result in me watching this movie. It is sealed and ready to go back to the warehouse.

Next up, and you better not let me down:

And while we're at it, I really need to stop drunk iTunesing. Seriously!! Who put Fall Out Boy on my iPod? I know *I* put the Kelly Clarkson and Timberlake and Bee Gees and Elton on there. But Fall Out Boy??

3 comments:

  1. I loved Across the Universe. I wouldn't say it's great cinema, and there's not much of a plot, but if you like the Beatles and musicals, it's awesome. Especially while in, eating cookies.

    I really liked The Darjeeling Limited (especially after The Life Aquatic). The Royal Tenenbaums is probably still my favorite of the Wes Anderson movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most importantly, the way you phrased your experience with "Dreamgirls" had me laughing! I can just picture it, as well as relating to it! Well said!

    I enjoyed both "Gone Baby Gone" and "The Brave One". The former because it was a good story, even though I could see the "twist" at the end coming. Couldn't predict what Casey's character was gonna do, though! And as kindred "The Wire" fans, we do appreciate Amy Ryan's acting abilities.

    "The Brave One" didn't make as strong of an impression on me, though. All I can say about that flick is that I liked seeing Jodie's charater kick butt. But maybe that's qll the makers of the movie intended the audience to like/remember about the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh... and maybe you can somehow use Mail Goggles to prevent you from drunk Netflixing.

    ReplyDelete