Saturday, October 25, 2008

And here I thought BNL stood for Barenaked Ladies.

Wall-E: I loved the bit with the spork. I loved the bit with the laser pointer (aha, so it's not just my cat that goes for that trick!). Of course I loved the environmental spin. And I know it's irrational to love a cartoon robot, but I fell in love with Wall-E. (Sorry, R2D2.) OK... I loved all the details in this flick, which just means that Pixar keeps raising the bar, movie after movie, which is a great thing for us but probably not really for their already hard-working employees. Be warned, it has a happy ending. I guess you would expect nothing less of a Pixar film though.

In other movie news...

Across the Universe: Hair will always be my favorite anti-war movie/musical, but other than the (again!) happy ending, I thought this was an interesting take on the '60s by way of Beatles songs... and the actors did a really good job. Fans of the Cirque Beatles show might appreciate this one.

Death at a Funeral: An amusing 90 minutes of familial mayhem at a funeral featuring Wash from Firefly (fully disrobed for most of his scenes, no less) and Finbar from the Station Agent (fully clothed throughout the movie). Good times, if you like those guys and have 90 minutes to spare. Otherwise, skip it.

Beowulf: yeah... not sure how this got into my queue, but I'm pretty sure I read this book in high school, and I ate at the Bay Wolf in Oakland a few times, so I think I'm okay with sending it back unwatched.

No comments:

Post a Comment