Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Keeping 'em guessing.

I haven't been taken very seriously at work lately, so I decided to shed my usual uniform of jeans and Docs and try out some serious professional garb to see if that would help matters. It really was more of a sociology experiment than anything else. At this point I could care less if people take me seriously.

Both yesterday and today I wore suit-like skirts not from Ross Dress for Less, with coordinated sweaters that cost more than $20 each, oh and stockings with heels.

I'm not sure whether people took me more seriously about my questions and suggestions. But I did get a LOT of questions about whether I'd had an interview that morning. One such question was asked in a large group gathering to say goodbye to a fellow long-timer who was lucky enough to have found a new opportunity. I thought that was hilarious... especially since I never actually answered the question.

What the hell. Most people know I'm looking anyway. The veep is even helping me out in that arena.

Have I mentioned I now have FIVE bosses, as opposed to the aforementioned four? And someone who insisted I fill out some form as per "the process" got all upset because I filled out the form as per his own request? And allegedly I'm changing roles but there is no plan to transition my existing work, which basically means I'll be doing my current job PLUS my new job, which definitely means that I will do all of them poorly because I refuse to work past 5pm?

I can already predict the new year: "I'd like to move us right along to a Jen(n). Now we had a chance to meet this young woman, and boy that's just a straight shooter with upper management written all over her."

4 comments:

  1. I found this funny because I've shed my usual suits-n-slacks outfits the past two days for jeans, barely-dress shirts and sweaters. Usually I only pull this on Fridays.

    I'm waiting for someone to tell me I've been real flaky lately and am not the caliber person you want for upper management.

    Anyway,a smart outfit really can improve one's spirits and confidence. Something about investing in how something looks can makes you care about it more, by showing you care about it. (I have not yet interalized this lesson with my car, living room, etc...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it true your department recently had a "Western dress" themed offsite?

    Did someone pull that from the 1962 Betty Crocker book of office activities? Or a more modern work, like "101 Ways To Sap Morale?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh. I've spent this entire year trying to prove that I "am not the caliber person you want for upper management." But yeah, dressing up did make me feel better about myself.

    And yeah, we did have a western-themed offsite. I do own (and occasionally wear) a cowboy shirt, albeit a Gap cowboy shirt circa 2002 - but a cowboy shirt none the less. I only went to the extreme of Levis for the offsite. I would've worn those anyway because those are the only jeans I have.

    At the risk of getting dooced, I will say that the cow-roping lunchtime activity was fun.

    Speaking of, gotta watch season 2 disc 2 of the crappy American version of The Office tonight. Pam and Jim are growing on me, kinda sorta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Jen(n), you didn't tell us about the cow-roping!

    ReplyDelete