Saturday, June 25, 2005

SOOOOO Bay Area.

AKA the post-Friday five. The other morning KFOG did a listener survey of what "sooooo Bay Area" means. It made me think... And so I bring you what "SOOOOO Bay Area" means to me, in no particular order:

  • KGAY, when Live 105* turns its station over to the likes of the Bee Gees, Erasure, New Order, Depeche Mode, Culture Club, DISCO!,** etc. for three days each Pride weekend.
  • Being able to drive 2 hours in any direction and hit beautiful mountains, or stunning beaches, or both.
  • More liberal bumper stickers per car than anywhere else in the United States.
  • June 25, 64 degrees fahrenheit.
  • I will never own a home here.
Add your own!

I guess "SOOOOOOO not east coast " would also be an explanation. On the way to my first temp job when I moved here (almost eight years ago - wow!), the person sharing the elevator ride with me started a pleasant small-talk coversation. I'd honestly never experienced that back east and it freaked me out. There's just a different vibe out here.***

________________
* I love this station in general, even though I don't always like the music they play. Any station that announces the days, hours, minutes and seconds that have passed since the last time they played Creed (last count: a looooong time) is a damn fine station in my book.

** Between my total thrill with this weekend's musical selections and my recent obsession with Queer as Folk, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm really a gay man trapped in the body of a straight woman. (OK, I'm probably just nostalgic for that music and curiously fascinated with the show, but hey, it's kinda funny to think about.)

*** And the award for stating the obvious goes to...

3 comments:

  1. Then again, one can only hear "Dancing Queen" and "Rock Your Body" so many times in one day... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spreadin' the love, both of you. Wonderful. ;)

    ReplyDelete