Sunday, June 26, 2005

It's no longer raining men, hallelujah!

Today I went from approximately eight straight (no pun intended) fun-filled hours of KGAY to Glen Phillips at the Great American Music Hall. Talk about culture shock... Not quite the culture shock intensity level of going from rafting down the cool calm Colorado River in the Grand Canyon to the NEON LIGHTS IN DISGUSTINGLY HOT HUMID VEGAS in the period of about three hours, which I will never willingly do again. I would definitely do today all over again.

I am 100% certain that no one reading this shares my emotional connection to Toad the Wet Sprocket. (I'm actually fairly certain that no one has even heard of that band.) But he was their founder, and he did an admirable number of their songs tonight, and they are all stuck in my head right now. And despite the fact that those songs are mostly about dysfunctional adult relationships, that makes me very, very happy.

In keeping with the interest of belated top fives, which will not be a regular occurrence but is here because a) I can't seem to do this in time for Fridays, like, EVER and b) it came to mind tonight during the show, I hereby bring you the top five voices I would marry in a heartbeat. Regardless of the person attached to the voice - partly because these persons are, generally speaking, already married - but mostly because of the obvious limitations of this concept - in no particular order, the voices (of more people you have probably never heard of) that I would marry are:

  • Glen Phillips
  • Jack Johnson
  • Grant Lee Phillips
  • Shawn Mullins
  • Mark Kozelek
Please note that this list is subject to change at a moment's notice depending on my mood at that particular moment. Sometimes Michael Stipe can really do it for me. (OK, really now, am I a gay man?!)

2 comments: