Thursday, April 14, 2005

I'll be returning my salt lick

Lately (and I mean, in the past week or so) I've noticed that I am really sensitive to salt. I just gave blood and my bp was in the normal range... So I'm sure this is another fun by-product of getting older rather than some serious illness I need to start paying attention to and/or taking meds for. (Right?? I mean, shit like this is a bit too scary. Damn the Internet. Damn it.)

But because the sensitivity has been so prominent, it's really been making me think about the kind of food I eat. For a vegetarian I don't eat enough fruits and vegetables. And even though I try not to, I eat a lot of processed food (veggie burgers and other fake meat being the main culprits) and also WAY TOO MUCH cheese. All of which has, you guessed it, a lot of salt. So tonight for dinner I made baked tofu (plain) with broccoli and mushrooms, and threw a little pepper onto it. Salt content = O mg... Fat = 0 g. Taste = the big goose egg as well.

Sigh. This must be how my parents feel after every meal.

Somewhat related but not really, I've also been eating less bread lately, just because I have been, not because I'm on some psycho-pseudo-Atkins diet or anything. I'm more sensitive to that now too. Today I had a bagel and my digestive system essentially said, "NUH-UH!!!" (Wait, was that too much information?)

In other news, I have a date on Saturday. My entire being is essentially saying, "NUH-UH!!!!"...

1 comment:

  1. Jen(n), I hope you'll be reassured to know that the sort of salt sensitivity the NIH is warning about involves the relationship between salt intake and blood pressure.

    If you can't tolerate the taste of salt, then you just can't tolerate the taste of salt -- your blood pressure isn't likely to be adding its voice to your taste buds' decision.

    Bagel intolerance, though -- now that has me worried. (Did I ever tell you about how I almost missed an eye exam the day I discovered the threshold of my tolerance for salsa?)

    ReplyDelete