Sunday, April 17, 2005

"I know it's pretty damn weird to eat people."

Recently seen...

Sin City: Having never read the graphic art novels (or whatever they're called) I wasn't sure what to expect. I loved this movie. Loved it. LOVED IT. It was gory and glorified and pretentious and creepy and... did I mention gory? (See subject of post.) It literally was a comic book made into a movie. Genius, sheer genius.

Butterfly Effect: Okay. I rented this (online of course!) because I was curious. I had no expectations whatsoever. Turns out, it really wasn't half bad. I didn't think his acting was any worse than normal, and the story kept me interested until the very end (which sucked, natch - but this is true with me and most movies). What a pleasant surprise to expect to hate something and end up liking it.

Shark Tale, on the other hand: BLEAH. At least I balanced my checkbook and did all my ironing during that one. I did chuckle at the "You had me at hello!" reference. But that was about it...

2 comments:

  1. David Edelstein of NPR on Sin City:

    "The latest devolutionary milestone ... The most relentless display of torture and sadism I have yet encountered in a mainstream movie.

    "My reaction to Sin City is easily stated: I loved it. I loved every gorgeous, sick, disgusting, ravishing, overbaked, blood-spurting artificial frame of it. Yes, this is a tad hypocritical. But sometimes you think, 'I'll just go to hell.'"

    ReplyDelete
  2. But at least I'll enjoy the ride. :)

    ReplyDelete