Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Someone beat me to it.

In my gym, there is a magazine rack in front of the treadmills that houses things like Parents and local work news. They also have Mile High Sports Magazine. And the issue that has been prominently displayed for a few months now, is a back issue with a cover shot of a blond anorexic ski bunny whose stomach (what there is of it) is hanging out, with the words "Mile High" really big behind her head. The words "Sports Magazine," on the other hand, aren't so easy to see, especially from 5 feet away.

This magazine bugged me. Immensely. For a long time. Particularly because I only recently put together the "Mile High" and "Colorado" concepts. And also because I kept thinking that perhaps women were using it as incentive to work out. (To those women I say, you will never look like her. NO ONE looks like her, not even HER. Surrender the fantasy.)

Anyway, in my post-workout-get-me-the-hell-out-of-here fervor, I kept forgetting to put that magazine behind the Parents magazine, or throw it away, or burn it. Today I looked up from the treadmill, and someone had turned it around so that the completley innocuous back of the issue was facing outward.

Bless you, whoever you are. BLESS YOU.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, for some reason, there's a pile of AARP magazines every month at my gym. In the middle of the Financial District. I really doubt that a bunch of retirees are BARTing over to hit the elliptical or take in a kickboxing class.

    ReplyDelete