Saturday, March 26, 2005

Dublin or bust!!

I got a brochure in the mail today from the AIDS marathon folks, who were encouraging me (as they do every 3 months or so) to sign up for one of their endeavors. Normally I laugh profusely at the thought of running 26 miles in one day, and immediately toss the brochure in the recycling bin. But today something caught my eye: the next run they're planning is in DUBLIN!!!

For about five minutes I thought about it. I really thought about it. Really. I thought about how I could train to run 26 miles, I know people who've done that and lived to tell the tale. I thought about who I could get to sign up with me. I thought about how much my knees would hate me and how I could get over that. I thought about how I could balance fundraising for that with my other fundraising commitments.

And then I thought about how I could just GO TO IRELAND without training for 6 months and running 26 miles when I get there. And how I would probably enjoy the trip a lot more with healthy knees and feet. And so, once again, I laughed profusely and tossed the brochure in the recycling bin... And then I started doing a little vacation research.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops!

    I have friends who just got back from New Zealand having just completed an ironman, which consists of a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike ride and a marathon. Crazy, I tell you. But they did visit the Shire and Mount Doom. No Rivendell or Mirkwood, though.

    Anyways, I always hear stories from these marathon runners about their toenails turning black and falling off. Don't do it, Jen.

    ReplyDelete