Sunday, January 20, 2008

"Wish you were here!"

I am putting together a relief package for someone I know who is going to Burma on a reconstruction trip. The package consists of vitamins for mom & baby, a comb, a mirror, infant nail clippers... all normal stuff, right? But I'm also supposed to include a baby toy, a postcard and a picture of myself.

On the photo - no thanks, too weird. On the postcard - what would I possibly say? I fear it will turn into a soliloquy like the ones scribed by Jack Nicholson in About Schmidt. ("And I know you are very poor, but listen to me whine about my fairly privileged life for just a moment, if you will.") And do I really want to send a picture of bright shiny San Francisco or the lush green hills of Oaktown? I don't think so.

On the baby toy - this one really stumped me. The drugstore and baby store have tons of learning toys featuring the English language, obviously out. I am guessing a Burmese baby wouldn't need a toy stuffed cell phone. The stuffed lobster with crinkly hands and "pull me" feet seemed inappropriate given the skirmish with the government a few years ago (see? I learned something in this endeavor). I settled on a Lamaze bug, which seemed neutral enough. I assume they have bugs in Burma?

This goodwill to others crap is hard. But not as hard as living in Burma these days, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment