Tuesday, January 01, 2008

That's entertainment.

Several things I have enjoyed immensely over the past week:

The Last Season: If you had any interest in Into the Wild, read this book. Thanks, friend who loaned it to me - not only did it keep me sane and serve as an escape route with my parents, but it was a fascinating read. And boy do I want to live in the middle of nowhere now.

Speaking of, the soundtrack to Into the Wild: I. Just. Love. Ed. He can do no wrong.

Juno: Brilliant, except for the part about the 16-year olds falling in love (AS IF.). I bought into everything else wholeheartedly and overall I loved the movie. So did the audience I saw it with - they clapped at the end. (Have I mentioned that I {heart} Jason Bateman? I do.)

And also the soundtrack to Juno. Now that my indie music freak who used to spend hours upon hours of his time hunting down cool new music, which he would then share with me, is married with new house and soon-to-be child, I have to rely on indie flicks for my cool new music. I'm OK with that, as long as they keep putting out indie flicks like this.

Sweeney Todd: Also known as, but not to be confused with, There Will Be Blood. There are really only a few movies I've seen in the theater where I've laughed out loud and wanted to clap at the end. Grindhouse and Sin City were among those movies. This one also ranked as an "almost." I had never seen the theater show so I had no idea what to expect, and for anyone who thought that Helena and Johnny did a poor job singing, well - they lived up to my expectations (they're frakkin' actors, not singers already, sheesh) and the film made me smile at the end. (Fans of Buffy will appreciate my almost-gasp-out-loud exclamation of "GILES!" and ginormous grin somewhere near the middle of the first half.)

I Am America: And So Can You: People were looking at me funny when I was laughing out loud at 6am in the morning waiting for the plane to board. It's genius so far and I'm sure the last half won't disappoint. The scariest thing? When I opened it, my brother said, "Oh I love that guy, I agree with everything he says."

Lost: Seven episodes of season 3 watched on the plane ride home (it's a looooooooooooong frakkin' flight, especially when you're sitting on the ground for two hours for no apparent reason), three more watched NYE, today I needed the fix and couldn't wait 4 days for Netflix so I went in search of disc 4 but could only find disc 5, which I consented to rent under the rationale that I could watch disc 4 and then watch disc 5 again after disc 4. It's not even as interesting as the previous seasons, but still... Tie elastic band around arm, insert needle, push plunger, lather rinse repeat. Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, sweet relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment