Saturday, September 01, 2007

Oscar mania!

Five years later, I finally watched (or attempted to watch) these Oscar-nominated movies:

The Aviator. OK, I got this one through Netflix and it sat next to the TV for about three weeks. Thursday evening it was showing on cable so I watched enough of it to appreciate Leo's performance, and also to know that I didn't really want to watch the whole movie.

The Queen. I can see why it won all those awards. It occurred to me while I was watching it, that I don't often think about the fact that England has a Queen who they have to curtsy to. If I ever had to curtsy to George Bush I think I would kill myself.

Little Children. I guess it was well done, but I'm rather tired of movies about adults who can't get their shit together.

I need to reassess my Netflix queue.

________________
I'm not sure what I actually learned in school about England and the Queen, but I just spent about 45 minutes refreshing my knowledge on the subject. I can't believe the amount of responsibility that comes along with being the Queen.

I also can't believe that, given her history, her apparent lack of tolerance for bullshit and her viewpoints on certain things, that she is such good friends with Bush. Maybe it's all a big conspiracy to add the United States to the laundry list of countries she currently reigns supreme over (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, and Saint Kitts and Nevis). SERIOUSLY? I want to be Queen of Saint Lucia.

2 comments:

  1. I thought for sure you'd weigh in on this today... Sad. Anne and I decided we could not imagine a world in which he had not been born!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I thought the same of you, Mr. Restaurateur.

    ReplyDelete