Thursday, August 16, 2007

Early Friday five.

Thank God for dooce, who reminded me of this brilliant song I used to love once upon a time. And so I bring you the top five songs from the early 1990's I could not live without, in no particular order:

  • The Last Day of Our Acquaintance - Sinead O'Connor (I love her work, I don't care whose photos she rips up on SNL or what anyone says about her)
  • Unbelievable - EMF (mock me if you will, but it always reminds me of the Billy Bragg/Michael Stipe parody which always makes me laugh - OK, and it's a sad point of pride that I can recite the whole "rap" section which makes no sense anyway - OK, and the lead singer was hot)
  • Three Strange Days - School of Fish (because it reminds me of Steve, who made the tape for me, who was my first college-aged crush)
  • Stay - Lisa Loeb (again, mock if you must, but Reality Bites was a defining moment in my life)
  • More Than Words - Extreme (I make no excuses... it's a cheeseball song, but I'm a cheeseball at heart)
But mostly during the early 90's I was into all the grunge and electronica. Pearl Jam will always be my favorite band, and I still love Erasure and New Order and the Smiths and Depeche Mode and ... OK, done rationalizing this list now.

Now you! What's your defining 1990's song?

No comments:

Post a Comment