Sunday, August 05, 2007

Neither wind, nor rain, nor cold...

I went for a run anyway, even though it was cold and the sky was spitting on me for most of the hour. BUT, in an effort to stay focused on the work I needed to accomplish today I didn't take my iPod. Instead, I planned an MS Access relational database in my head as I pounded the pavement.

And now it's Sunday night, I'm having a glass of wine and documenting my database before I start to create it.

God, I'm a nerd...

I do have the TV on in the background. And I have to formally state my position on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. I think that overall, the design team and CBS (or ABC?) and the community volunteers are doing great work by bringing new life and new hope to needy families. Where I have trouble is that, a) they build ginormous homes amidst teeny homes and I just have to wonder what that does to the family's relationship with the neighbors after they are done with the house?, b) there doesn't appear to be anything sustainable (as in, energy efficient, or global-warming-preventing) about the new homes they build, and c) there doesn't seem to be any consideration given to the fact that the family is typically low-income and building a ginormous house will drastically increase the gas, electric, and water bills every month - where is the follow up to see if this is a sustainable model for revitalizing homes and improving lives, and how many families can support themselves in their new home? End of soapbox. Oh and also, are families able to sell the homes on the market or are there any restrictions to that extent? Probably only I would wonder about that. I'd better call Ty.

Despite all of that, the show still makes me cry every Sunday night. Dammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment