Monday, August 20, 2007

Just. Get. Dark. Already.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I am probably the only one I know with reverse SAD. I do love the Bay Area "summers," with their overcast mornings that eventually burn off into a sunny haze. But I don't understand why it's 8pm and still sunny outside. Um, hello, daylight savings time? We are no longer an agrarian society! Get with the times!

To remedy my ailment, as soon as I get home, I close all my blinds. It's the only way I can justify sitting on the couch watching TV. Her Majesty doesn't like this, of course - she's all about sitting in the sunbeams, and early evening is really the only time my apartment has a sunbeam to sit in.

Too bad, so sad.

This is why Portland is very appealing. I hear it's often overcast and/or rainy there. Not to mention, my rent would probably be about half what I'm paying now. (Granted, so would my salary, but whatever.) But could I really piss of the Portlanders by joining the masses who are moving there from the Bay Area in search of cheap property?

Yeah, I could. It would save me a bundle on airfare for the annual Pirate Festival, after all.

1 comment:

  1. I was just reading about this reverse sad deal. I'm from the bay area and could hardly handle daylight savings time in California, then I moved here to Seattle and it doesn't get dark until after 10pm in the summer! And then this year they passed the new law to extend DLT for one more month. I finally figured out that I have this reverse SAD thing...I swear to you it is absolutely horrible. I cannot handle it. I become a monster - so irritable; it's unreal. I loath long days of sunlight. I can handle it if it is light until 6:30, but anything after is just awful. I was just reviewing the sunset/sunrises times for the past summer. Do you know that in December here our days are 8 hours long. In June, they are 15 hours long!! That is almost double the light. No wonder I felt like I was going to lose my mind!! This extra month they added this years is the worst thing. I'm signing every petition I can find to get it back to normal.

    Best of luck to you. Thanks for writing about this.

    a-

    ReplyDelete