Friday, August 24, 2007

Bonus Friday five.

I got an email from my good friend Adam Yauch telling me about this movie that I need to go see. His email sparked a random Wikipedia series of events which brings you five things you might not know about the Beastie Boys, in no particular order:

  • My boyfriend Adam Horovitz, who you probably know was married to Ione Skye for a few years, is now married to riot grrrl extraordinaire and former lead singer from Bikini Kill, Kathleen Hanna. (Damn.)
  • The band is over 25 years old. (Damn!)
  • The Dust Brothers sampled "So What'cha Want" on Beck's song "E-Pro." (I don't hear it, but whatever.)
  • According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the Boys are credited with coining and popularizing the word "mullet."
  • The band was the first to win Grammies in both rap and alternative categories in the same year.
I knew there were reasons I loved these guys other than just their albums.
________________
OK, the email went to the entire web-based fanlist, but I know he had me in mind specifically when he sent it. I just know it.

2 comments:

  1. You think the story's over but it's ready to BE-GIN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw yeah, you can't front on that. No sleep till Brooklyn.

    (Ironically, they played their first concert in Brooklyn only recently. That just seems wrong on so many levels.)

    ReplyDelete