Saturday, April 21, 2007

Like whating a WHAT?

Today's financial management for dummies class featured the following analogy:

Nonprofits are infamous for handing out titles over pay raises. Kind of like banks. You can't swing a dead cat in a bank without hitting 12 VPs of something or another.

[Digression #1: Now, I love cats but I also love the book "All I Need to Know I Learned from My Dead Cat." Despite the fact that I woke up and found my cat dead and stiff one morning, I still find the humor in that book. Even so, it was a random thing to say.

Digression #2: We have a hearing-impaired person in our class who has two interpreters working with her. I find myself watching them now and then just out of curiosity, because while I can sign the alphabet and a few words here and there, I couldn't hold a conversation without trying a deaf person's patience - so I watch to see how certain words are signed. It's like a bonus class on top of the class I am taking. End of digressions.]

Upon hearing this particular statement from the professor, all eyes immediately went to the interpreters to see how the hell they would sign "can't swing a dead cat."

________________
For the record, this is my favorite extension professor in the history of extension professors.

No comments:

Post a Comment