Monday, May 29, 2006

'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life.

Sweet, because today two friends announced their impending nuptials. There aren't many people I clearly see as "meant for each other"* but these two definitely fit the bill. About a year ago, after way too much whiskey at the WOW! I vaguely recall gushing to the future groom about how lovely their relationship was, and how inspiring it was to me, and how I wished the best for them, and "why the hell haven't you proposed yet?!". And now here they are. To the happy couple, huzzah!

On that note. Bitter, because I am now the last single woman standing in that group of friends. Saaaay... I should get a prize! But seriously. It just makes me wonder if I'm in the right place. Most of the time I am content. Men schmen. Babies schmabies. It's only when I'm around six or seven couples, most of whom have kids or are on their way to parenthood, that I start to wonder what this life is all about. And I remember that I often don't do things because I don't have anyone to do them with, and it's always more fun to do things with other people. I think about missed opportunities (which inevitably leads down several ex-boyfriend trails followed by a few "THANK GOD I didn't marry HIM!"s). And most importantly I wonder if my friends and I will still have things to talk about in two years when everyone's a mom and I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

Crazy Aunt Jenny indeed. I'm a million different people from one day to the next. Veterinary school looks pretty competitive, from what I can tell. There don't even seem to be many vet tech schools around. Maybe I should just volunteer at the local shelter and call it a day.

________________
* a. I hate the phrase as a general concept, and b. most people tend to generally get along and then meld well together over time versus being clearly "meant" to be together.

No comments:

Post a Comment